Saturday, May 23, 2009

Day One Hundred Forty Three


Local veterans were honored here today with a Memorial Day weekend program that included an honor guard, a band that sang patriotic tunes, and my Aunt Joy Brown, who recited 'The Ragged Old Flag'. Aunt Joy is from Gainesboro, Tennessee, just a thirty minute drive from here. She has become a local celebrity and is always in demand to recite this poem at various memorial programs honoring American war heroes from all generations. As usual, she did a wonderful job, reciting this poem from memory. She made her own Uncle Sam inspired costume, from the top hat down to the red and white striped pants. And she's only 94 years old. Well, as she is quick to point out, "ninety-four and a half!" We remember all those men and woman who sacrificed their lives in service to this country and we thank them for standing in our place in harm's way to defend our freedom. I'd also like to salute my Aunt Joy Brown for her spirit of perseverance. I want to be just like her when I grow up. God Bless America!

4 comments:

Jane said...

Don is going to post the video on Facebook soon! Glad you were there today. I had a fun time!

Ann S. said...

God bless Aunt Joy! She is a true inspiration! Wish I could've been there today.

ceee said...

I didn't see the link to your quiz on here. I would love to take it!

Kelly said...

Aunt Joy ROCKS!!!