Monday, October 12, 2009

Day Two Hundred Eighty Five


Indian corn is one of the best things about Autumn. My favorite is the variegated. I love all those purples, reds, and oranges.

Flint corn (usually of the yellow or white variety) is what is used for popcorn, and its flour is used to make tortillas. (I learned that just now because I Googled it.) I've had all of my Indian corn for years and years. I've learned to totally seal the box I store it in. Otherwise, hungry rodents manage to find it. One year I stashed a wreath made of Indian corn in the attic, failing to seal it inside a box. By the next Autumn, all that was left of the wreath was the naked corn cobs. Had a good laugh over that. But lesson learned.

4 comments:

Ann S. said...

Beautiful Indian Corn! Don't you just love Google? Hey, I remember when your wreath got eaten. I still have mine. I put it in a plastic garbage bag, then hang it up in the attic where the critters can't get to it.

Jane said...

Fall is so beautiful! I love it!

Kelly said...

Nothing like corn ya can't eat :o)
Purdy!

Kelly said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.