Friday, October 23, 2009

Day Two Hundred Ninety Six

Postcards From The Flea Market And Beyond ...


We drove westward out of the rain and were thankful to see some blue sky beginning to show through the stormy cloud bank just before we reached the I-40/440 split.

I wish I'd asked his name. He was a flea market vendor settled in with his novel. I told him he was the most interesting thing I'd seen so far. He said thanks. I asked if I could take his picture. He said sure. Then he laughed and said if he'd known women wanted to take his picture now, he'd have put on the fat years ago. He was such a nice person. Most of the flea market vendors are.

This skull art was made from human teeth that had been collected over several decades (I think between the thirties and the seventies--I'm guessing by a dentist? Let's hope so, anyway) It was one of the most bizarre items I saw today.

Oh, I do hope someone bought this doll. She looks like she could use a good home.

Neil and I were prepared to endure a windy, rainy, yucky day at the flea market, but we were blessed with beautiful blue sky and awesome clouds. Some things just work out that way. Here we were headed to Mt. Juliet to meet up with daughter Kelly for our traditional after-the-flea-market supper at Olive Garden. It was always a treat to eat there because Cookeville didn't have one until recently. Even now, we never eat at the one here. Weird.

Kelly showed us where she works as a kitchen designer since we were so close by. They're fixing up their showroom with some gorgeous kitchen cabinets.

Welcome to Kelly's desk--the heart and soul of Quality Plus Kitchens. This is where it all comes together, baby. She'll make your dream kitchen come true. (This has been an unsolicited, unpaid advertisement for QPK.) Thanks for the tour, Kelly! I'm glad we could spend some time together this afternoon.
TGIF! Have a fabulous weekend, everyone!





5 comments:

Ann S. said...

That skull art thing is freaking me out! They have some unique items at the flea market for sure. We need to get back there sometime soon. Kelly has a nice office. I love her desktop. Is that granite? Great pictures, sis :)

Ann S. said...

PS I'm glad you guys had good weather for the flea market today!

Kelly said...

Yeah, the tooth skull is wacky. Probably some dead serial killers trophy display... ugh! Thanks for dinner at the Olive Garden! And thanks for checking out my office space and blogging me! Tee hee!! Glad the weather was nice! Have a good weekend! GO VOLS!!! Love ya!!! :o)

Kelly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelly said...

For some reason, my post posted twice so I deleted one. Anyhoo, toodes!