Thursday, November 5, 2009

Day Three Hundred Nine

Chill Factor


Our Buddy Cat is stressed out it seems. Ever since the new cat, Eddie Kitty, arrived this past July, Buddy has been losing weight, hissing, snarling, and clawing at his human family, and, in general, royally ticked off--behavior that is totally unlike our usually laid back pet. Here he is at the vet this morning, being tested for thyroid malfunction and the dreaded heart worm.

Both tests came back negative, which was happy news. Then the doc said, "It's Prozac time." I thought he was joking. He said I'd be amazed at how many cats and dogs are being treated with Prozac. It was always my uneducated diagnosis that Buddy is miserable with the new cat in the family now and that this stress is having an adverse effect on his health. So our Buddy Cat needs an attitude adjustment. We're going to try the meds for a month and see what happens. The doc says it should help. The bad news is that if Buddy hasn't accepted Eddie by now, he never will. Oh well. It's always fun squirting medicine down a cat's throat. I may need a chill pill after it's all said and done.

5 comments:

Ann S. said...

Poor Buddy cat :( I don't think I've ever heard of a cat being on Prozac. Makes me think the Spooky cat should've been on Prozac. She hated Libby so much and harassed her constantly. She was so jealous of her.

Kay R. said...

Sounds like Buddy with Eddie. It's a sad situation. I feel sorry for both cats. Buddy has had his first dose of the stuff. I hope it kicks in soon :D

Ann S. said...

It is sad :( I hope the Prozac helps!

Jane said...

If the Prozac doesn't help Buddy, I'd like to give it a try! :-) Seriously, I hope it helps him.

Kelly said...

That's what a bad attitude will get ya... a trip to the vet and Prozac. He needs it for sure! Poor guy. Been the man of the house for over 10 years and Eddie comes around thinking he runs the place...lol...hope Bud gets back to being laid back again!