Sunday, June 13, 2010

Day One Hundred Sixty Four 2010

Sunday rANd0M


Neil worked all afternoon in the 90+ degree heat getting started on the stone pathway in the front yard. The path will curve around the side of the house and connect with the path already there. We couldn't find stones to match it, but we don't much care.

Tools of the trade. Gratuitous shovel close-up.

You've heard of the 'dog days of summer'. These must be the cat days of spring. Hard to believe that, in this heat, it's still officially spring time in Tennessee. Buddy Cat can snooze most anywhere any time in any kind of weather.

The path is starting to take shape. We agree it needs more randomness. Those smaller roundish stones we bought at the Nashville Flea Market. Each one has a family member name on it. Neil is going to scatter them (perhaps randomly?) around the larger stones. Oddly enough, we found one with the year 1983 on it--which is the year we moved into this house. Now that's random.

My sister Jane and I are Dan Fogelberg fans, so I'll bet she remembers the line from a song called 'Comes And Goes' that says: "A woman's like an ivy on a pole. She wraps her twisted love around my soul." I was never quite sure what to make of that, but it's the first thing I thought of when I saw this vine wrapping itself around the stop sign pole. Just one of those random thoughts, I guess.

5 comments:

Ann S. said...

Your path is already looking good :) That shot of Buddy cat reminds me of our cats. They are even more worthless in this heat. Bless their hearts. I can only imagine what it would be like to walk around in this heat with a fur coat on and not being able to take it off. I always look forward to checking out your blog! Keep up the good work :)

Kay said...

Thanks for the kudos, sis! :) Love ya!

Jane said...

I went to bed before you updated your blog last night, so I'm just catching up. The stone path is gonna be so nice! Love how they just dump the stone, but I guess that's the only way to do it.

Jane said...

and yes, I do know that Fogelberg song, and this is probably what he thought about when he wrote that line! :-)

Kelly said...

Looks like we're going to have to start turning left to walk around the back yard! The new stone path is shaping up! What about the other side? Is he gonna rip up the brick? Buddy has zero fat on his bones, he probably likes a little heat. Poor thing. Love all your pics!!!!