Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Day Two Hundred Twenty One 2011

I think it's called a paper wasp because of the way it builds a nest. Could be a hornet or a yellow jacket. No matter what the name, they've been determined to build right outside my back door. I squirted them with wasp killer and it just made them mad, but they did finally go away. Or so I thought. Neil and I were sitting on the swing on the back porch and I looked up and saw this hanging over our heads. Had my camera with me so I took his picture (with my long lens). I guess he thought if he built his nest under the eave, he wouldn't be seen. Even though they eat other insects, which can be good, I don't want anything with a stinger hanging around my porch. Now, where's my wasp killer....

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Hate those things!!! It's worth it to call an exterminator to spray around your house. Only around $80.00. We went from 20 wasps trapped in our screened porch to haven't seen one since! And that was months ago. They're little "homes" are prettying amazing... how do they build them?

Ann S. said...

I hate wasps, but that one sure if pretty! We've had a lot of wasps this year around our house. We keep a can of wasp spray on the back porch. I agree with Kelly...their homes are pretty amazing.

Jane said...

Poor little "wasper"! :)