Thursday, May 24, 2012

Day One Hundred Forty Five 2012

Afternoon In Dogwood Park
















Today was my first visit to our newly expanded Dogwood Park, which is a gorgeous green zone right smack in the middle of old town Cookeville. At the center of this little piece of heaven is an awesome fountain where kids of all ages can run around, get wet and cool off on a hot day. I took grandpeeps Shelby and Elijah there this afternoon. Elijah wore his vacuum-sealed rubber boot over his cast so he could splash, too. The day was hot but the water was cold, as you can see by Shelby's tense body language. Elijah plunged right in, but it took Shelby a long while to finally get soaked. They had a great time. Who wouldn't? I sat in the grass under a tiny tree which offered enough shade to escape the heat of the sun. That is my only complaint about the park--it will take decades before the small trees are mature enough for some real shade. Otherwise, I'm blown away by this place and can see myself spending time here as often as possible. I know I'll be taking my grandpeeps back again (and again) this summer to play around that way cool fountain.

5 comments:

Ann S. said...

Wow! How awesome is that? I had no idea that Dogwood Park was that nice! Do they have picnic tables there? Would be a nice place for all of us to meet and have lunch. What do you think?

Kay R. said...

There are no picnic tables, only benches scattered around. There may be some tables up around the stage area--it's kind of an amphitheater where they have concerts and plays. I haven't explored the place very much. Today is the first time I've been there. You can bring a quilt and spread it on the ground and sit--if you can find some shade :) It's an awesome place.

Kelly said...

Wow, just think, not to long ago there stood Cotton Eyed Hoe where so many underaged college students downed shots of tequilla and two stepped to country music. Dogwood is a much nicer place! Can't wait to take a stroll through the tiny trees!!!

Kelly said...

I meant Cotton Eyed JOE! LOL!!!

Jane said...

Cotton Eyed Hoe was probably more appropriate, Kel! :)
The park is really nice. Jill & I hung out there when she was here after Ma died. I do believe there are picnic tables on the amphitheater side. I remember taking Mom to see O. J. Cummin's band play there many moons ago. That might be a perfect place to have lunch sometime!