Thursday, October 31, 2013

Day Three Hundred Four 2013

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!
IMG_1931
No guts, no glory.
IMG_1936
IMG_1950
Grandson Knox was Thomas the Train, his most favorite thing in the world right now.
IMG_1962
Because our Middle Tennessee town is in the path of some potential stormy weather tonight [rain, high winds, tornadoes], door-to-door trick or treating is postponed until this Saturday. Our church moved its annual trunk or treat into the church building tonight so kids in the community could have a safe and dry place to trick or treat in spite of the wet windy weather. There was a huge turnout, and although we didn’t stay for the meal, I heard over 50 pizzas were served.
IMG_1963
This is Knox’s first year to trick or treat. He was a little intimidated by the large crowd and all the costumes, although he did get excited when he saw Batman.  He hasn’t learned the joy of collecting and eating all that candy yet. Maybe next year.
IMG_1975
IMG_1987
IMG_1991
Grandson Elijah and granddaughter Shelby came to collect some treats. Elijah was Robin Hood. Shelby was the Queen of Hearts.
IMG_1994
IMG_2000
IMG_2005
IMG_2006
IMG_2007
IMG_2017
I’m so glad my niece Sarah still loves getting into the spirit of Halloween. This year she was Frida Kahlo, who was a Mexican self-portrait artist and is still admired as a feminist icon. [I didn’t know this until I Googled her, just so you know.]
IMG_2018
My niece Julia also enjoys getting into the Halloween spirit. She made a lovely witch.
IMG_2019
Daughter Holly got in the Halloween groove with this great orange jacket, black top with silver skulls, and a silver skull necklace she made.
IMG_2020
I’ve been making chili for supper on Halloween night every year since my kids were little, so it’s become one of my fave traditions. This time I added white chicken chili to my menu.
IMG_2023
IMG_2026
IMG_2029
Brother in law Don was feeling a little witchy tonight. He usually hands out my candy to the spooks who come by my house on Halloween while we take the kiddos trick or treating around the neighborhood [which I appreciate] but the spooks got rained out.
IMG_2031
IMG_2034
My sister Jane made these awesome treats ~ Nutter Butters dipped in white chocolate with chocolate chip faces.
IMG_2035
They were totally deliciously decadent! And cute, too. Thanks for sharing, Jane!
IMG_2036
Halloween was a little weird this year with no trick or treaters begging for candy at my front door. But that didn’t matter. We had a blast anyway. This is the most wonderful time of the year for me. Halloween, in my book, trumps Turkey Day and even Christmas with the fun factor every time. I hope the spooks come by this Saturday, or I’m stuck with two huge bags of candy. Happy Halloween, America! And sad farewell to October, my favorite month of the year.

2 comments:

Ann S. said...

Glad everyone had a great time!

Jane said...

Great pics! It was fun, as always! I must get that white chicken chili recipe. I loved it! It was weird not getting to trick-or-treat, but I'm glad the church had its thing & that the kids got to go.