Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Day Three Hundred Ten 2013

1106131204a
We had lunch today at this little meat n three called Wilma’s Country Cooking. It’s located just around the block from our house in what used to be, decades ago, a neighborhood country store called Sparks Grocery owned and operated by a lady who lived right next door to the store. I have fond memories of Sparks Grocery. It’s across the street from the elementary school I attended back in the sixties. I used to walk over there after school and buy Beatles bubble gum cards. Still have them. Great memory. The grocery store went out of business years ago and has since gone through many incarnations ~ a bakery at one time and an antique store being the most recent. Now it has become a meat n three restaurant. Daughter Kelly and her hubs Kerry and son Knox walked over there yesterday to check it out and brought us a menu. They have different daily specials. It sounded really good, so we gave it a whirl today. We had pork chops, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans and a roll/corn bread. And tea, of course. I’m happy to say their food is totally delicious and the price is very reasonable. They're only open for lunch. The place was hopping today with tables full and lots of take out orders. We hope to eat there again sometime soon.

4 comments:

Jane said...

I wondered what had become of Sparks Grocery. Glad to hear it is doing good business. Have to give it a try sometime. I also have great memories of walking over there to buy candy as a big 6th grader at Capshaw. :) (I bet those Beatle bubble gum cards are worth a pretty penny!)

Kay R. said...

When I was eleven or twelve, somebody gave me a big blank scrapbook (with The Beatles picture on the cover) and I used it to Scotch TAPE the bubble gum cards to the pages. Yikes! Oh well what did I know about resale value. I need to dig that thing out and see what kind of shape those cards are in.

Ann S. said...

Speaking of Beatles bubblegum cards, I saw a picture of those on Facebook. It was in one of the Beatles Facebook pages. I thought of you when I saw it. You do need to dig those out. I bet they are worth some $.

Kelly said...

I used to walk to Sparks back in my day. Garbage Pail Kids cards were big. They are also worth a lot of money today. I have no idea what happened to them. I bet they're in a box in Daddy's "hanger" shredded by a mouse or possum. Oh we'll.