Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Day Two Hundred Sixty Six


I've been known to toss a rotting pumpkin or two under the bushes surrounding our deck out back. With all the rain we're having lately, I guess it's no surprise a pumpkin vine would be growing out of one of the hundreds of seeds that landed there.

The vine has the cutest little curls and pods and fuzzy stems.

The vine started growing only a couple of weeks ago. It's a shame it couldn't have started earlier. I might have had some home grown pumpkins by now.

And totally unrelated to rogue pumpkin vines, I noticed this huge praying mantis enjoying the day while perched on this pink flower growing in the back yard. I think it may have been a female because it looked like it was about to deliver a bunch of baby mantises. I'm just glad it didn't jump on me while I was taking it's picture.

5 comments:

Jane said...

Pretty pumpkin vine! Haven't seen one up close like that. Very cute! The mantis does look like it's expecting. I'm glad it didn't jump on you, too! That was Julia's fear when she took her mantis pic this summer.

Ann S. said...

I love the pumpkin vine! It reminds me of that huge, rogue cherry tomato plant you guys had growing in your backyard years ago. The praying mantis is too cool! They fascinate me!

Kerry said...

Kay I just have to say these pics you are taking are absolutely amazing. I honestly have to say some of them are breathe taking. I really appreciate you taking your time to post them for all to see. Once again thanks. Love ya.

Kelly said...

Yep, gotta agree with Kerry... your pix are get better and better everyday! Just go back to the first when you started your blog and compare then and now... a hidden talent has finally found it's way out... and you think you're not creative... pish posh!

Kay R. said...

Thanks so much for your encouraging words!! Makes my day big time!!!