Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Day Three Hundred Twenty Seven 2010

"I am a big, fat turkey
You can't have my head.
I'll sit with you at dinner.
We'll eat a duck instead!"
~Turkey~Anonymous

Grandson Elijah crafted this pine cone turkey at school. Suitable to use as a centerpiece for a Thanksgiving feast. He enjoyed a Thanksgiving dinner today--turkey, mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese--and said he's ready to have Thanksgiving dinner again. I'm looking forward to T-Day myself!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Here are a few fun turkey facts:
Turkey is the only native poultry breed of the Western Hemisphere.
Turkeys have great hearing skills but no ears.
Turkeys can see in colors, have excellent visual acuity and their field of vision spans across about 270 degrees.
Turkeys have poor sense of smell but great sense of taste.
Wild turkeys can fly at a speed of as much as 55 miles per hour over short distances and are good runners with a speed of about 25 miles per hour.
Turkeys are so sensitive that they can drown by looking up while it is raining and can have heart attacks due to sudden shocks.

3 comments:

Ann S. said...

What a sweet picture! Cute turkey, Lijah man :) Enjoyed reading your turkey facts. I learned a few things. I didn't know that turkeys don't have ears.

Jane said...

Turkeys - strange birds, eh? Elijah needs to bring that little pine cone turkey to my house! I need a centerpiece! :-)

Kelly said...

Very interesting! Cute centerpiece! :o)