Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Day One Hundred Eighty Seven 2010

Backyard Beauty


Since I didn't take any pictures today, thought I'd share a blast from the past. And since I know zilch about butterflies, except that they're beautiful, here's a tidbit about this particular butterfly you may or may not find interesting. Another Swallowtail look-alike, Red-Spotted Purple butterflies are dark beauties whose open wings have a blue iridescence. Like Mourning Cloaks, the adults have nontraditional tastes, often feeding from rotting fruit, tree sap, and animal droppings. Like many common caterpillars, attract Red-Spotted Purples to your yard with willows. I learn something new every day.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

WOW!!! Pretty!!! >i<

Ann S. said...

Absolutely gorgeous!!! I've never seen a butterfly like that before. Awesome shot!

Jane said...

I've never seen one like this before, either! How beautiful!