Saturday, January 15, 2011

Day Fifteen 2011

"And here is the key
To a house far away
Where I used to live
As a child.
They tore down the building
When I moved away
And left the key unreconciled" ~~ Dan Fogelberg, 'Souvenirs'

I can't help thinking of these lines from Dan Fogelberg's song Souvenirs whenever I come across old keys at the flea market, especially skeleton keys, which I recently started collecting. They once opened the door to some one's home, and now here they sit gathering dust in some old box. The second key from the left used to be our house key when we first bought this old 1920's home back in 1983. We didn't tear down the building but we did change the locks, leaving the key 'unreconciled' as Dan put it. And although I always have notions of putting them to use in some project some day, like most of my collections, these keys will probably stay unreconciled.

5 comments:

Jane said...

I love these old keys. I guess they wouldn't go very well on our key chains these days. I remember one in the living room door at Ninny's house.

Ann S. said...

They just don't make keys like they used too. Love your key collection and the Dan Fogelberg lyrics.

Kelly said...

Danny Boy was a good songwriter! Wish they still made keys like that. Like a piece of art :o)

Kay R. said...

I think that key is still in the door at Ninny's house--the living room door. I think it has a tassle on it :)

Ann S. said...

I remember that key at Ninny's house.