Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Day Sixty Two

Lila Ruth Fussell Ranft
January 22, 1917 ~ March 3, 2010


My honey/hubby Neil's mother passed away tonight. She was 93 years old. Although her body failed her in recent years, her mind was still sharp. She never complained during the hospital stays (and not at all that I can recall). She always seemed to accept whatever condition she found herself physically. She put up a good fight.

She was an Army wife, loving and devoted to her husband and son.

Probably early twenties here--she had her own style and that never changed through the years.

Around ten years old here.

We're not sure of her age in this picture. As with a lot of folks, she didn't label her photographs. Although we tried in recent years to have her identify as many as we could, we waited too late to ask her about a lot of her pictures.

She must be about one year old here with her sister Erline, who she adored and who was a huge influence in Ruth's life. They were born in New Brockton, Alabama. And no matter where her Army life led her, from Texas to Greece, Alabama was always home. She will be missed. Rest in peace, Lila Ruth. You deserve it.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Nice tribute! Love these pictures. She definitely was a fighter and never complained. Strong! I'll always remember Grandma and Grandpa kicking back in their chairs taking a snooze after a day at the Madison Mall. Her laugh cracked me up! She had a great laugh! I can still here it! I can still her hollering... "NEIL, LOOK OUT!" ...followed by screeching brakes! LOL! Ah, the good ole days. Lots of memories. End of an era. Grandma, be at peace. I love you.

Ann S. said...

Nice tribute, sis! I'll always remember the fun times we had with Mr. and Mrs. Ranft when we would come visit you guys in Huntsville. Me and Terry were talking last night about Mrs. Ranft and mom and the wheelchair race on July 4th when we were all running to see the fireworks. Rest in peace Mrs. Ranft. You were one tough cookie!

Jane said...

Very sweet tribute. I love the pictures! That one of Neil's family (look at his Elijah face!) Mrs. Lila was a beautiful lady. I'll never forget how they took me in when I was going on that mission trip to Panama. They put me up for the night, fed me, and got up early to make sure I was at the church building on time. Also, all the fun times fishing on the river, having watermelon at their house, and those Boxer dogs! Nice memories that I will treasure.