Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Day Six got lost, This is Day Seven

We live near our granddaughter's school, so she walks to my house each day. In the background is the old water tower that's been a landmark in this town for decades. I used to walk to this same school when I was growing up, and the water tower was sort of a beacon. It can be seen from most vantage points around town and pretty much pinpoints where I live. Through the years, it has become a target for daredevils with spray paint and random cell antennas. The powers that be say it would cost too much to refurbish it (what else is new?) so they choose to spend same money to tear it down. Sometime in March this year during the school spring break is the plan. Makes me sad. It is a part of my everyday landscape, as much a part of my backyard as the Mulberry tree and the woodshed. I hate to see it go.

1 comment:

Jane said...

I hate to see the old water tower go, too. It is a beacon. I look at it every time I'm leaving Morningside. It's just part of this town that I think should be saved, just like the Maddux building.