Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Day Two Hundred Seventeen

Public Works Saves The Sidewalk Hand Prints


In my opinion, these city employees went above and beyond the job description to save the childhood hand prints of my two daughters who each pressed one small hand into cement that was freshly poured probably twenty years ago.

The concrete was about three inches thick. They started with this big circular saw and were really careful cutting around the prints.

Then they brought in the jackhammer to help dig underneath to loosen it up. At this point, I figured Here we go, it's gonna crack into a thousand pieces.

It didn't crack at all. This is the hole that was left after they extracted the cut out prints I'm happy to say in one solid piece.

I know you can't see the hand prints in this picture. They're covered with cement dust, but they are still there after a couple of decades, and I'm very happy to have this memento of my kids' childhood. I'm also very thankful to the guys who took the time to do this for me. They didn't have to. I'm still amazed they remembered I had asked about having this done almost two weeks ago.

By tomorrow, they'll be tearing up the sidewalks in front of our house and later on pouring another round of fresh cement. I'll miss our old bumpy sidewalks, like I miss our old wavy glass windows in our house. But I'll get over it. I'm hoping the grand kids will be here the day they pour the cement so we can begin a whole new generation of sidewalk hand prints.

Every neighborhood deserves a sidewalk.





4 comments:

Ann S. said...

Kudos to the public works department! I'm so glad they saved that piece of sidewalk for you and got it up in one piece! Now maybe Shelby and Elijah can put their handprints in the new sidewalk. Great pictures!

Hey, I'm Meg! said...

Every neighborhood deserves a sidewalk!! love it...very beautiful layout

Jane said...

I think you should write a letter to the editor. That was very nice of those guys. I can see a hand print - very light, but I can see it. How cool! I do hope the grandkids are around for the pouring of the new sidewalk.

Kelly said...

COOL!!! Glad they saved a piece of history for our family! What are you going to do with it? Hope Shelby and Elijah are there when the pour the new sidewalk! Yeah, you should write a letter and supply some pics!!! That is a great story! :o)